Saturday, February 16, 2013

Valentine's Day and a Birthday Dinner.

Happy post Valentine's Day everyone! It's been an eventful last few days with so much going on and so little time to tell everyone about it. I recently got a promotion at work, moving to the Resorts Desk, which basically means I have to know a whole bunch about Hawaii. Including the state fish, Humuhumunukunukuapuaa, which is just as hard to spell as it is to say. Kevin also got a promotion at work. He now works for the Service Support Team, which basically means he's the guy you go to with questions if you're an insurance agent at Nationwide who needs an answer for a customer asap. So this man of mine is super smart. As crazy as all this change and progression in our lives has been, we still found time to make a new memory in San Antonio as we celebrated our 5th V-Day as a couple. Now some people hate Valentine's Day, while others think it's the sweetest day ever. Which ever category you find yourself in, our amazing 2/14 dinner will still appeal to you.

Thursday night, I asked Kevin where we were going. His response? "Go die." Needless to say, I was a little peeved at his response and almost didn't go out with him that evening. Then he explained to me that he was saying Godai, as in Godai Sushi Bar & Japanese Grill. Uh, yes. Little tidbit about Alicia, I'm a big fan of sushi and all other things Asian food. Now when you pull up to this place, you think you're at someone's house, more so than an amazing restaurant filled with raw fish. It's a simple, unimposing building, that feels like all they need to impress you is an amazing plate of food. Inside, the staff is quick to attend to your needs and make suggestions. After a few minutes of menu perusal, Kevin and I decided on the Sushi for Two. Every order at Godai comes with cloudy (not to mention, delicious) Miso soup and a ginger dressed salad. With those as the starters, this meal was more than enough to fill Kevin and I. The entree for two came with two pieces of Tuna, Yellow-Tail, Salmon, Tai, Escolar, Shrimp, Octopus, Clam, Unagi, Ikura, Uni, Amaebi, and two 1/2 rolls of Tuna and Salmon. If I can be honest right now, my favorite piece in this amazing meal was the Unagi. It's eel with some sort of teriyaki sauce and it's amazing. We ate everything and I loved every minute of it (except the squid, but unless that sucker is deep-fried and being called calamari, I typically think it's too slimy, so whatever). My drink never ran dry, the meal was exactly what I wanted and was completely substantial. There are literally five or six Zagat Guide awards on the walls and several other write-ups listed on the door when you walk in: believe the hype. 

Bottom line: Big date? Take your special someone here. It's tasty, and the right amount of fancy without being pretentious. Be ready to drop $50 if you order something like we did and each get a soda. This is a special day kind of meal, unless you come during lunch or happy hour when they run good specials. But try to come here once, because it's too good to miss. 

Godai Sushi Bar & Japanese Grill, 11203 West Ave, San Antonio. 210-348-6781. godaisushi.com

Yes, that's one bite. No, he didn't choke.
After the sushi-fueled fun we had on Valentine's Day, Kevin and I were back at the grind, finishing out Friday strong. After our long days ended, we got to spend some time with my Mother-in-Law, Louan, and her friend, Carla. They're in town for the three day weekend, and then Louan will be here a little longer for a conference. And tonight happened to be a special day, with us celebrating her ___th birthday. (Let's not fill in an age, k!) And in true San Miguel fashion, we celebrated with a great dinner tonight. Because they're here for a visit, naturally she wanted to find a great place to eat on the Riverwalk to celebrate. Little side note, now that I have been a San Antonioan for almost half of a year, I fully understand the mindset many residents have here: we appreciate the Riverwalk and the business it brings, but residents don't go to the Riverwalk unless there's someone visiting who has to go. Every time I have ventured to downtown, it has been purely for the entertainment of a visiting friend or relative. Guess I'm one of your people now, San Antonio. Thanks for adopting me! Anyway, when we got down there we chose Rio! Rio!, a Mexican restaurant and cantina. As I'm about to tell you what I think, I find myself torn. First, my mama is Mexican and cooked correct for me growing up, so I have a bias. Second, I find that the best Mexican places are hidden gems, discovered after trial and error. Regardless, Rio! Rio! was our dining destination, and it wasn't quite what I thought it would be. Looking at the menu, it's easy to assume it's going to be another overpriced restaurant, with most entrees running $12-$20. Though that may seem cheap to some, to a girl who knows what a bag of beans and tortillas costs, it's an astronomical difference. It's like certain shoe manufacturers using cheap labor overseas to produce sneakers for only a few dollars cost and then turning a major profit by selling said shoes at well over $100 a pair. Sorry, but I get a little soap-boxy about this sort of thing. Either way though, we sat down and give this place a whirl. And Rio! Rio!, I ain't mad at you! Surprisingly, this place is pretty good. Kevin got a GIANT burrito, stuffed with marinated steak, beans, cheese, and a red carne sauce. Due to unseasonably cold weather, I got Chicken Tortilla soup, which came with a side of rice and a satisfied stomach. I actually found myself wishing for more broth, because this soup was filled with chicken, cheese, veggies, and flavor. Carla got Baja fish tacos with fried fish, cabbage salad, cilantro, and a chipotle mayo, on corn tortillas and with steamed vegetables. She was so full, she donated a taco to Kevin and I, and they were very good. Finally, Louan got Shrimp Fajitas and I found myself most impressed at this dish. One of my biggest complaints about any restaurant is ordering seafood typically means you're in for a small amount of your main protein, with mostly vegetables as a supplement. This was the opposite, as her plate had ten jumbo shrimp (which also happens to be my favorite oxymoron). A free birthday drink from our kind waiter and a night of laughter made this meal great. 

She came to SAT in that Sombrero.
Bottom Line: Are you: a) cheap? b) a good Mexican cook? or c) both (aka, my mom)? When then stay home and make this yourself! But if you want someone to make you some great food, this isn't a bad find for the Riverwalk. Visiting tourists especially, please take this restaurant into consideration when choosing a dinner location while you're here. It's going to be higher priced, as most restaurants are in the downtown area, because duh, there's a lot to do here, but it's worth the trip if you're willing to make it. San Antonioans, if you're entertaining a visitor who wants to come downtown, do your tourist a favor and take them here for a good meal. Just don't judge too harshly when they can't say "quesadilla" correctly.

Rio! Rio! Cantina, 421 E Commerce St, San Antonio. 210-226-8462. rioriocantina.com

So this is a special weekend for the San Miguels of We Ate the State. Normally, Kevin and I are far too financially challenged (read: poor) to eat out this often, but we do our best for special occasions, and will always try to share those journeys with you as well. I can't wait to tell you about what we're eating tomorrow! Well, actually later today. Either way, good night! 


And remember, if you have a suggestion, comment, or just want to tell me and Kevin how great we are, leave it here or in our inboxes! 

No comments:

Post a Comment